Records of the West family in the All Galicia Database

There are currently 321 records for the surname West (including soundalike names and spelling variants) in the All Galicia Database (the AGD), Gesher Galicia's free searchable collection of genealogical and historical records from the former Austro-Hungarian province of Galicia, which is now eastern Poland and western Ukraine. Here is a sampling of some of the results you can find there:

  • Elie SCHORR f WEST, son of Hirsch Wolf WEST and Ciwje SCHORR
    and Reise SAMBOR f MUSCHEL, daughter of Jozef MUSCHEL and Ettel SAMBOR
    marriage record from Tarnopol Jewish Marriage Banns, Marriage Certificates (1916, 1920-1939)
  • Szmul WEST, son of Moyses and Sura
    1816 birth record from Tarnopol Jewish Births (1816-1820)
  • Samuel WESTH
    1816 birth record from Tarnopol Jewish Births (index book) (1816-1860)
  • Jsaac, son of Leib WEST
    1819 birth record from Brody Jewish Births (1815-1861)
  • Gittel, daughter of Schmerl WEST
    1819 death record from Brody Jewish Deaths (1815-1861)
  • Leib WEST, son of Moysche and Chinke
    1819 birth record from Tarnopol Jewish Births (1816-1820)
  • Leib WEST
    1819 birth record from Tarnopol Jewish Births (index book) (1816-1860)
  • Leja WEST
    1820 death record from Tarnopol Jewish Deaths (1816-1820)
  • Israel WEST and Sara INGBASS
    1821 marriage record from Brody Jewish Marriages (1815-1871)
  • Hersch WEST, son of Moyses and Chinke
    1821 birth record from Tarnopol Jewish Births (1820-1838)

Search the All Galicia Database to see the full information available for all 321 records. The AGD is updated with new records every few months, so check back often to see the latest results.

The Gesher Galicia Family Finder — connect with other people who are researching the West family:

There are 2 entries listed in the Gesher Galicia Family Finder for this surname.

To see all Family Finder records as well as contact information for matching researchers, please log in now. If you're not a member yet, join us today!

Records of the West family in Logan Kleinwaks' Genealogy Indexer website

There are 188 search results for the surname West at Logan Kleinwaks' Genealogy Indexer website, a few of which are listed below. Note that results listed below are limited to purely Galician sources, such as telephone and business directories from Galician cities, or school records, but they do not include the many other sources available on his website that span all of pre-war Poland. You may need the free .DjVu web browser plugin to view these files.

  • Baranow Yizkor Book (1964), image 251 {y32}
    ... "The Marck" or market place. It was surrounded by neat rows of homes with the front sections serving as stores opening onto the "Marck." In the middle was a huge gas lamp suspended from a tall post which, when lit, shed a dim weird light on the area. To the north and the south were the water pumps from which the inhabitants hand-pumped their daily supply of water. These pumps rose from wooden ... and the bucket dropped directly into the well and thus the water was drawn. Rising above the rows of single storied homes in the Marck were two taller structures each having two stories: one in the west, and one in the north. Both ow־ners used the lower floors as saloons and the upper ones for living quarters. The one in the north served also as a sort of hotel when cir-cumstances imposed detention ...
  • Berezhany Yizkor Book (1978), image 500 {y48}
    ... of two floors with a tower in the center. In the tower was set a clock, visible from all four sides of the town. The tower also bore the crest of Graff Potocki. a five angled cross. Surrounding the base of the townhall. as well as in the courtyard, there were many stores. Most of them belonged to Jewish store-keepers. The second floor of the townhall served as a highschool. Further west, between the houses stood the Greek Catholic church. Behind it was the Arme-nians church and towards the south stood the Catholic church. Close to the south side of the Catholic church stood the statue of Jan Sobieski. On two sides, north and east were platforms, which served as parking spaces for the horses and wagons, belonging to the farmers. Part of this plot was set for the local drivers and porters ...
  • Berezhany Yizkor Book (1978), image 501 {y48}
    ... boasts of — the railway. Thus Brzezany is the central town of an enitre region. A number of villages with a population of one hundred thousand citizens are under it's autho-rity. The town itself is divided into five sections; the center and four suburbs. In the northwestern corner of the town rises the "Bernardine" mount. There, also stands the monastery, an ancient building, big and long. From there one has an unforgettable view of the entire town and its surroundings. One can see. stretching like a mirror, the long lake, framed east and west by mountains and hills. The lake was the source of sustenance and relaxation for the town's
  • Brzezany Yizkor Book (1978), image 494 {y91}
    ... thus it remained. "Rabbi Mendele Synagogue" abbi Mendele Synagogue" located on Strazacka street was burned down during the bombardment of the Nazis. The "Old Stretiner Klois" he "Old Streiner Klois". which was located near the renovated syna-gogue. was turned into a grain store house during the rule of the Soviets. The "Rozler Klois" he "Rozler Kloiz". which was situated on the north west side of the "Big Synagogue'" became ruined and forsaken. The "Potiker Kleizel" he "Potiker Kleizel". which was housed in Reb Jidels Synagogue, was destroyed. Destroyed and burned down during the Nazi bombardment were also the Kleizel of the tailers. the porters worship place, the prayer quarters of Rabbi Seide Halperin, the prayer quarter of the Mizrachi and another synagogue called "Yad-Haruzim ...
  • Brzezany Yizkor Book (1978), image 500 {y91}
    ... of two floors with a tower in the center. In the tower was set a clock, visible from all four sides of the town. The tower also bore the crest of Graff Potocki. a five angled cross. Surrounding the base of the townhall, as well as in the courtyard, there were many stores. Most of them belonged to Jewish store-keepers. The second floor of the townhall served as a highschool. Further west, between the houses stood the Greek Catholic church. Behind it was the Arme-nians church and towards the south stood the Catholic church. Close to the south side of the Catholic church stood the statue of Jan Sobieski. On two sides, north and east were platforms, which served as parking spaces for the horses and wagons, belonging to the farmers. Part of this plot was set for the local drivers and porters ...

Check out Logan Kleinwaks' Genealogy Indexer website for more search results.

Other ways to connect with people researching the West family:

Other ways to connect with people researching the West family:

 

Gesher Galicia is a non-profit organization carrying out Jewish genealogical and historical research on Galicia, formerly a province of Austria-Hungary and today divided between southeastern Poland and western Ukraine. The research work includes the indexing of archival vital records and census books, Holocaust-period records, Josephine and Franciscan cadastral surveys, lists of Jewish taxpayers, and records of Galician medical students and doctors - all added to our searchable online database. In addition, we reproduce regional and cadastral maps for our online Map Room. We conduct educational research and publish a quarterly research journal, the Galitzianer.

You can search our free All Galicia Database, Map Room, and archival inventories, and read about member benefits starting at $36 per year. You can also join online.

Our general contact address: info@geshergalicia.org