Gesher Galicia has an online discussion group hosted by JewishGen. You do not need to be a member Gesher Galicia to subscribe, but subscribing to the discussion group alone does not make you a Gesher Galicia member. The only way to receive a subscription to our quarterly journal, The Galitzianer, and our e-newsletters is to be a current dues-paying member. (We have annual dues.) To join Gesher Galicia go to: www.geshergalicia.org/membership
Our discussion group is a wonderful internet forum which fulfills the vision to unite Jewish genealogical researchers worldwide as they read and discuss each day’s messages. They share information, ideas, methods, tips, techniques, case studies and resources. Their dedication is to Galician Jewish family history with particulars from their own family lore and reminiscences. Not only do they want to know more, but they are very willing to help others along the way. This continual sharing is the very essence of what the Jewish genealogist do and the discussion group forum will be one of the best ways to make progress in your research.
Moderation: The JewishGen Discussion Group is “moderated”, that is, all messages are subject to review by a moderator, who in addition to sending a message through for posting, may reject inappropriate messages, or suggest a more suitable venue, or send it through to the Discussion Group with a comment. The role of the moderator is to keep the discussion on track and to let it not get cluttered with irrelevant, inappropriate, or personal messages of no interest to the general readership.
Rules: To provide an orderly and courteous organization and an efficient line of communication, subscribers are asked to abide by the JewishGen Rules and Guidelines as developed by the JewishGen Rules Advisory Committee and discussed under Section IV below. Adherence to the rules will make participation in this forum more productive and pleasant for all.
Formats: The JewishGen Discussion Group is presently available in two formats:
- as an electronic mailing list (for which you need an e-mail account with any Internet Service Provider).
- as the Usenet newsgroup soc.genealogy.jewish.
In each format, you will have access to the same set of messages, which averages 20 to 50 messages a day.
Send postings (your messages go out to all Galicia list readers) to: firstname.lastname@example.org (Galicia SIG discussion group address)
II. HOW TO SUBSCRIBE / UNSUBSCRIBE
Once you have confirmed your subscription, you will receive all messages which are posted to the JewishGen Discussion Group and approved by the moderator.
- MAIL: Also known as “individual message” mode — you receive each message as it is approved by the moderator. You may receive anywhere from 20 to 50 messages a day. If this is too much for you to handle, consider modifying your subscription one of the other modes.
- DIGEST: The “digest” is one long e-mail sent nightly, which contains all of the messages that have been posted for the day. This is the most popular subscription mode.
- INDEX: The “index” version is a single posting per day, consisting of a listing of all the day’s messages by subject line and address of person posting. Each listing has an id number, and by using this number you can order any message that might be of interest. Full instructions on how to order a message come with the index version.
You can choose “Mail”, “Digest” or “Index” mode at the time you subscribe, and you can modify your delivery mode at any time using the Mailing List Management webform.
You are free to follow the discussions or join in. You can send your comment to the entire group if you think it is of general interest, or send a private response to a person posting.